There’s nothing more Texan than…well…being Texan. Texas is so many great things, and its people reflect that. We’re recognized the world over for it. It’s no wonder we grow up with strength and pride. Not to be confused with arrogance, our pride is a reflection of a set of values that doesn’t waiver. It stays steady, no matter which way the wind blows or how hard. These Texas pride quotes, together, sum up the pride we all feel.
1. “For all its enormous range of space, climate, and physical appearance, and for all the internal squabbles, contentions, and strivings, Texas has a tight cohesiveness perhaps stronger than any other section of America. Rich, poor, Panhandle, Gulf, city, country, Texas is the obsession, the proper study, and the passionate possession of all Texans.” ~John Steinbeck
Well said, sir. I don’t have much to add to that, so I’ll just put it on a pretty picture of the Texas hill country.
2. “Only Texas could turn defeat into a legend–and a song, and a tourist attraction, and a major motion picture.” ~Rosemary Kent
“Remember the Alamo” is more than just a saying. It’s a story about the determined will of a group of Texans fighting for what they believed in. Against all odds, and facing certain defeat, they did what they had to do. That’s just what Texans do.
3. “Texans ignored ‘better,’ long ago forgot the useless word ‘good.’ Everything in Texas is ‘best.’ ~Edward Smith
You’re darn tootin’. Best people, best place, best…you name it… in the world. Who wants to be just “good” when you can be the best, after all? Not us.
4. “Texas is a blend of valor and swagger” ~Carl Sandburg
Why thank you for recognizing, sir. We Texans hold our heads high and walk with a steady but relaxed rhythm. We hold our heads high, even when the world tries to get us down.
5. “You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas” ~Davy Crockett
I do believe Mr. Crockett was referring to Texas as heaven. If so, I’d have to agree.
6. “If a man’s from Texas, he’ll tell you. If he’s not, why embarrass him by asking?” ~John Gunther
It’s true, we’re a proud people. Even in other countries, we say we’re from Texas, rather than the US. Wouldn’t want anyone being confused, now would we?
7. “Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.” ~Sam Houston
Yeah, we don’t take kindly to that around these parts.
8. “One day, it just dawned on me that I’m from Texas, and that’s what I am.” ~Sissy Spacek
“Texan ’til I die,” isn’t that how the song goes? It’s more than a saying, it’s the truth. And we’re awful fond of the truth.
9. “Texans ain’t Texans if they aren’t willing to boast about the state they call home.” ~Anon
We’re not just proud to be from Texas, we’re proud OF Texas. With so many reasons to love it, why not tell others?
10. “What you northerners never appreciate … is that Texas is so big that you can live your life within its limits and never give a damn about what anyone in Boston or San Francisco thinks.” ~James Michener
It takes a whole day to cross the state. We have resources from energy to food to tech, and a giant oceanfront. Gives us plenty of space to roam without really needing much else. Or needing to care what others think, which wouldn’t been very Texan at all.
11. “People from all over the United States can pick Texas out on the map. Even if they’re not American, people know about Texas. All over the world, traveling Texans tend to identify as Texan rather than American, because, well, we get treated like celebrities when we do.” ~Elizabeth Abrahamsen
Just like the quote says, we wear it as a badge of pride and honor wherever we go. EVERYWHERE we go. We even earn names like “Texas Dan” simply by being ourselves in other states.
12. “You don’t just move into Texas. It moves into you.” ~Manny Fernandez, NYT
Coming from a New Yorker, we’ll take that compliment. Texas does have a way of growing on ya. Then before you know it, Texas becomes you.
13. “A born Texan has instilled in his system a mindset of no retreat and no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.” ~Billy Clayton
So do we, Billy. So do we, so hard.
14. “I’ve traveled all over the world, but I don’t think there is any place better than Texas.” ~Red Adair
I have no problem believing this, and I’ve done some traveling. There are many wonderful places I love to visit, but we have it good here.
15. “Texas is neither southern nor western. Texas is Texas.” ~William Blakely
We don’t like to fit into categories around here. We prefer to make our own, and it is Texas.
16. In Texas, there is a certain honor of being a Texan that is doing something the best that you can. ~Matthew McConaughey
Alright Alright Alright. Well put. Our Texas pride extends into everything we do. We give it our all, come hell or high water. Come on down here, always do your best, and you can call yourself a Texan.
17. Screw you, we’re from Texas. ~Ray Wylie Hubbard
Judge us, go right ahead. We don’t really give a bull-fart what you think of it all. We’ll welcome anyone who wants to help keep Texas the great state it is. The rest of you… well, adios.